How to Update Your Medicaid Case File After Legally Changing Your Name and/or Gender or Sex Marker

When you legally change your name and/or sex marker, there are several steps that you need to take to ensure that your Medicaid is not affected and that you are served in the most appropriate manner. In this article, we explain the steps you need to take to update your Medicaid case file following a change of your legal name and/or gender/sex marker.


Step 1: Report the change to your local County Assistance Office (CAO)

To report changes to the CAO, call the Statewide Customer Service Center’s toll-free number at 1-877-395-8930. In Philadelphia, call 215-560-7226.


Step 2: Submit legal identification document(s) that show your updated name or gender/sex marker

Submit these documents through COMPASS (, via email, mail, or in person at your local CAO. Your CAO will tell you the best way to submit the information.

Required document(s) include and legal identification document(s) that shows your updated name, including a birth certificate, driver's license, state identification card, or passport.

Only one of these documents is required, but sending more will not hurt.  A copy of the court order is NOT required. Additionally, the required documents should not differ by county and this process is the same as the process for someone who has gotten married and changed their last name.

Typically, it will take 10-15 business days for your name to be updated at the CAO . The CAO should also update your Managed Care Organization (MCO or health plan) with your new information.


Step 2: Contact your Managed Care Organization to request a new insurance card

Your CAO will send your updated information to your MCO, but you must contact your MCO for an updated insurance card with your updated name and/or gender/sex.

Call your MCO 10-15 business days after you submit your documents in order for your information to be fully processed and updated. You can call the number on the back of your existing insurance card. Below are the Member Services phone numbers for each MCO:


AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania: 1-888-991-7200 / TTY 1-888-987-5704

Geisinger Health Plan: ​1-855-227-1302 / TTY 711

Health Partners Plans: 1-800-553-0784 / TTY 1-877-454-8477

Highmark Wholecare: 1-800-392-1147 / TTY 711

Keystone First: 1-800-521-6860 / TTY 1-800-684-5505

United Healthcare Community Plan: 1-800-414-9025 / TTY 711

UPMC for You: 1-800-286-4242 / TTY 1-800-361-2629